View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #4047
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalElder View Post
I roll old clubs also. eBay. And returned pre owned items for woods. Same mallet putter for the last 8-10 years. I often wonder how much an updated set of irons would help my game
Not much, really. There has been very little technological advancement in iron design. SGI irons are easier to hit straight, but they are also terrible from less than pristine lies. They do help people with swings that are way too steep, but you're a much better golfer than that.

All the distance gains in irons come from strengthening the lofts and lengthening the shafts. Both of which make the club harder to hit.

For example, every iron Tiger has ever played as a pro has been an exact clone of his Mizuno MP14/MP29 combo set that he used as an amateur.

I went from a three year old set of I5s to a 23 year old set of Eye 2 + no + irons at the end of 2011. The Eye 2s are essentially as long, and more forgiving.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.