Thread: Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #269
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
What's your budget? Do you have any experience?

I alwasy recommend slate for inexperienced tile setters. It's my own personal choice. I have it in every bathroom of my house, the fireplace surround, and in my downstairs kitchen. Plus you can cut slate with an angle grinder. Good stuff.

If you go with slate, just be sure to get some tips on cleaning the grout before you get started. If you don't do it right, the grout cleanup can be a true PITA. Other than that, slate is wonderful. Beautiful stuff, durable, and the natural imperfections tend to make up for any problems you might encounter.

One other warning: if you're doing a large area, don't let the women "pick out" the pieces. That can take more time than actually laying the stuff. My friend had about 20 boxes of tile, and he had to lay them all out to pick out and place the "pretty" ones before he even started laying it.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.