View Single Post
Old 05-10-2024, 10:30 AM   #15
Three-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I liked Rings of Power as well. Thought it got unfairly criticized in a lot of ways.

And yeah, Silmarillion is TOUGH. That's why I think a movie might be really good. That's the best part of the LOTR trilogy - it's not better than the books, its not worse - its extremely complementary.

Both the books and the movies are better for the others existence.

If you could get a Silmarillion trilogy done and done well, it provides a visual staking post for then re-reading the book. It would be a lot like how the GOT series complemented the ASOIAF books so well. It made those a lot more digestible.

There's an excellent story in there if you can get the names/faces locked in somewhere in your mind. If you have reference points that let you really absorb the story being told. Without it, Silmarillion is as hard as some of those WWI history books where all the names and places start to sound the same and nothing makes sense.
Actually watched the Rings of Power and found that it wasn't nearly as bad as many tried to make it. Personally I didn't care for the "Galadriel Warrior Princess" arc, but it is what it is. What I do like was how they could incorporate more elements into the story as their is far less source material that they would have to adhere to.

The Silmarillion is definitely a book that would thrive with a trilogy movie made for it for many of the reasons you highlighted above. The material is there, so the hard part would be making that come to life on the screen without creating multiple snooze fests for the average audience member.

What also could do well is a movie or series involving the Blue Wizards in the east. There's just enough lore that they could make something while keeping it "canon" while not enough lore that they can't take reasonable creative licenses with the story.

I think that would allow for an expansion into an area of Middle Earth that has always been fascinating and mysterious to many fans. As Tolkien has long since passed (as well as his son) there is no way to 100% know if/what he thought of those areas from a lore development perspective (outside vague references here and there).

By having someone like Jackson make it with input from recognized Tolkien experts, I think something great could be made while keeping in the spirit of how Tolkien most likely would have envisioned it.
tredadda has disabled reputation