View Single Post
Old 05-09-2024, 12:49 PM   #929
Certified Bourbon taster

Fantasy - Gene Wolfe - "Latro in the Mist" is a 2 book reprint combo of a 3 book series. The final book came out many years later, after Wolfe took time off to take care of his wife. Takes place 2500 years ago in Greece, when the Persians are trying to invade. Our hero gets wounded fighting too near a Greek temple, and the resident goddess curses him to lose his memory as he sleeps. Our book is his 'daily update' so he knows who he is, where he is, and why. Good prose, and you soon really feel for the guy and his helpers. One sidebar to the head wound - he can now see the supernatural beings, gods, goddess' and 'vampire', etc..all around in ancient Greece. If he touches them, everyone else can see them. This leads to a few orgies. That's enough to hook those who'll enjoy it and I don't want to give too much away. My favorite novel, and I've read quite a few. Other Gene Wolfe stuff is worth checking out @ the lie-berry, but this one - I buy 2nd hand copies when I see 'em cheap, just to give away to friends. It's that good.
BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.