Thread: Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread*
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 02:23 PM   #4242
Supporter

So I've been dog tired and needed to get work done in the office, so I put some stuff on that should have been mindless noise, so I put on some older movies.

I put on Mr and Mrs Smith, I tried the series because I liked this one so much. Yeah, it's cringey, and over the top, but I really friggin like it. It is excellent mindless fun.

I also found Empire Records. I loved it when I was younger and haven't seen it in forever, probably 25 years. There was a lot of stuff going on for me.

1. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY the 90's were a long time ago.

2. I remembered it being pretty campy and kinda dumb. And it is in some parts. On some level though, it was pretty deep (especially for the time) and has aged pretty well.

The mental health part with Deb trying suicide, the drug stuff with Liv Tyler's character, Renee Zelweger's character using sex as a crutch. If it wasn't 30 years ago, it would probably be called woke. Some of it was campy and handled maybe not super great, but it was interesting to see those issues on screen. I don't remember much from that time addressing any of that.

3. Some of the performances were sneaky good. When Liv Tyler and Zelweger were screaming at each other was pretty good. That's a really tough scene to act and time right. Tyler wasn't very good in several scenes, but Zelweger was sneaky good in a lot of hers. I've notoriously not been the biggest fan of hers through the years, but she was really good in this one.

Speaking of Zelweger, she actually sings pretty well in the last scene. Wasn't expecting that. She's way better than the dude that sings the song.

4. It was a pretty good nostalgia hit on some of those songs.

If you ever liked it, it's not a bad trip down memory lane.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.