Thread: Movies and TV Top gun trailer
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 02:54 PM   #315
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
In case you didn't know (and I don't know why you wouldn't), this movie holds up spectacularly well after repeat viewings.
Yeah - it remains pretty unassailable.

Even the fighter pilots are like "Yeah, some of this is a little off, but damn this is a great movie and hey - it's a movie. You have to suspend a little disbelief here..."

Like the part where Maverick sacrifices his plane to flare off Rooster - the guy essentially says "Hey, theoretically it might be doable. In practice, nobody has ever been that good. There's just no way to locate a point in space and get from point A to point B like that."

But I think my favorite nitpick was a simple one - airspeed. Every maneuver has you bleeding inertia. And they're going to be bled white coming up that cliff face into coffin corner anyway. They would have ZERO airspeed. And how are they going to gain it? Usually you'd nose down but they're in mountain canyons - they can't do that. Worse still, they're up and down, left and right, all over the place trying to evade.

They'd simply never have the airspeed to make some of those banked turns; they'd fall right out of the sky the moment they threw the wings over, slammed the emergency countermeasure button and pulled the stick back.

But hey - movie would be a lot less good if it was:

"Dagger 1, Defending...."
{whacks countermeasure button; banks and pulls yoke}
{Every stall alarm in Gods creation sounds simultaneously - plane noses over and flutters helplessly into side of mountain}
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote