Thread: Movies and TV Must Watch Series
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #2386
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
A) Elizabeth Olsen references will pretty much pull me from anywhere on this board to weigh on. God almighty.

B) Man, I wish I hadn't have seen this part.

Jesse Plemons pretty much sucks. You had me intrigued but that makes me a little wary.

I guess I need to see that Western he was in with Benedict Cumberbatch but anything else I've seen him in has him just getting wrecked. Dude - what were you thinking taking a role in The Irishman? You can't hang with ANY of those guys. The Key Grip can probably do a better job than you. Just...why?

He keeps getting good gigs with great casts - some SOMEBODY disagrees with me. I just don't see it.

Maybe Chris Jones should hire his agent?
I think his performance is not bad. Some of his mannerisms and stoicism is off putting. But I think a function of the character. Because there are parts (when he’s with Olsen) where he is a different character. But it fits with ultra religious Texas dudes whose societal norms are to internalize everything.

Much like Ben Stein is not that dude in Ferris Buellers Day off, that’s what the part calls for and I think that’s the case here.

I’m no Stan for Plemmons. But I think he did a nice job here. As an actor he’ll never be able to pull off the Pachino “ITS A GREAT ASS” from Heat, but this isn’t that. I think, if you look objectively, they tried to cram a lot of nuance into his character. I didn’t like the character, but I probably wouldn’t like the Pachino - Heat character either. Well, at least after the coke wore off.

Really, watch the show. If for no other reason than Olsen is really ****ing good and HBO deserves the runway. It’s not some masterpiece but it is an interesting look at a segment of society that isn’t often inspected.

One other thing you specifically might enjoy is Tom Pelphrey railing against the Judge. There was some quality profanity there.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.