View Single Post
Old 07-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #223
World's Best Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post

Thanks Lew. It is a struggle and getting worse. My old district had guns brought to school 3x this year. No one is really taking responsibility for it. One was at a old friends school. He did not report it. District swept it under the rug.
There are whispers that two schools in my area swept students bringing weapons to school under the rug this year.

You're not the first teacher I've come across who said they're also seeing this, and it's a terrifying trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I give you teacher's all the credit. You are vital to our success but are given so little.

In AZ they provide an optional "donation list" as classrooms are supposed to be fully supplied by AZ law. We always make sure to give as much as possible. The education system here is near the bottom of the barrel. I don't know how you teacher's do it but thank you.
I appreciate that so much! I'm going on Year 8 (3rd year teaching Middle School STEM - and I love it). Since I teach Title 1, if all goes to plan my student loans will be forgiven by Year 11 for me, and I'm not sure what my plan is then. Both my parents didn't plan on their last year of teaching to be their last year, but both hit administrative incompetence/red tape to a level which made them bow out on Year 13. That year could be coming to me, but as of now I'm still going strong.

I mostly do what I do so that students can come in and have a safe place to exist. I have my room open over lunch and I get a lot of kids who just come in to 3D design, some kids who I don't even have as students and others who don't even seem to like me but seem to like having a place to be. Middle School was by far the worst time of my life (I found a home here during that time, if that tell you anything), but I got through it in large part thanks to teachers who gave a **** and nowadays I just try to pay that forward. Last year was a challenge for a lot of reasons, but I was able to get a great job teaching STEM closer to home (those teaching gigs can be hard to come by). I'd love to one day be teaching in the building my kids are going to school in, fingers crossed I can make it that long!

Last edited by Chiefspants; 07-15-2023 at 03:32 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.