View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
My favorite was always "The Old Man and the Sea," but I'm a fisherman, so I was always biased. Also "The Sun Also Rises" and "A Farewell to Arms," were always favs of mine. Just finished "A Moveable Feast" for the fifth time a few months ago. I'll have to look and see if i ever read "Across the River and Into the Trees"
Big news Megatron, pertaining to your post I quote here above. There I was, reading Across the River and Into the Trees, minding my own business, making my slow progress cause I look up all the historical references. I came across the following passage which you'll find interesting:

Quote:
'The Canal was grey as steel now in the quick, failing, winter light and the Colonel said, 'Arnaldo, open the windows'.

'There is much wind, my Colonel, and the room is badly heated due to the lack of electric power.'

'Due to the lack of rainfall', the Colonel said. 'Open the windows. All of them.'

'As you wish, my Colonel'

The waiter opened the windows and the north wind came into the room.

'Please call the desk and ask them to ring this number.' The waiter made the call while the Colonel was in the bathroom.

'The Contessa is not at home, my Colonel', he said. 'They believe you might find her at Harry's'

'You find everything on Earth at Harry's'.

'Yes, my Colonel. Except, possibly, happiness.'

'I'll damned well find happiness, too,' the Colonel assured him. 'Happiness, as you know, is a movable feast.'

'I'm aware of that,' the waiter said.
Will you look at that! A reference to that movable feast of yours, and in a novel published 14 years before the book of the same name that you regard so highly.

Had to share that with you my good friend!
Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.