View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 04:30 PM   #855
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Yeah, I think that's a fair distinction.

He doesn't really box out as much as he uses his length. They're still contested catch situations but he's not like Bowe in that he was simply bodying guys off. He just uses that length and some angles he could create to snatch a ball that was away from his body (and thus usually away from the DB).

He's still using his body to screen guys off on a lot of those plays, but it's not like he's using physicality in the process - he's using length. And he has plenty of that.

I suspect that's really just an invitation for an argument over semantics though - I don't recall there being that few contested catches, they just didn't really seem like it because he was able to reach out and snatch a ball rather than battle through contact for it. So then we're quibbling over 'contested catches'.

I think it's probably fair to say that he's a guy who wins through body control and length. I don't think he's very sudden nor does he have excellent deep speed. There's some build-up speed there, but I would put it at about average. Nor does he win through physicality.

He's an odd comp, really. There aren't a lot of guys who win that way. Colston? Victor Cruz?

How 'bout Keenan Allen? Allen's not super sudden, not super fast, but he's pretty long and he's crafty. Taller WR but not terribly physical.

I think I can live with that as a 'type' - a Keenan Allen type who will have to continue to refine his route-running technique (and stay healthy) to succeed at this level.
The problem with that play isn't arguing the semantics of a contested catch necessarily, it's that there are only a handful of even those on his tape. He wins routes for clean catches most of the time.

His physical comps are more like AJ Green or Preston Williams. The question is which player he can be closer to. AJ Green would be awfully lofty. Being better than Preston Williams is easily attainable. His usage might fall somewhere more in line with Courtland Sutton.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.