View Single Post
Old 04-02-2023, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
It's really a set of short stories. Kind of a fictionalized accounting of his time in Paris.

Probably I just never got around to reading Across the River. I've always kind of flipped back and forth between him and Faulkner, went down a Camus road, etc.
Faulkner?!?! You are speaking my language now. In the Snopes trilogy, there is a character named VK Ratliff. You only find out later on what the VK really meant. He was actually a Russian, and VK were initials for a Russian name. Now look at my own user name!

William Faulkner. Did you know he added the U himself? His real name was Falkner. His great grandfather was Colonel Falkner, the real guy Faulkner based his John Sartoris on. Confederate cavalryman.

Hemingway and Faulkner didn't get along, which is interesting. "Hemingway never used a word that would cause a reader to get a dictionary to see if he used it right." "Poor Faulkner, does he really think big emotions come from big words?"

Last edited by Vladimir_Kyrilytch; 04-02-2023 at 10:02 PM..
Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.