View Single Post
Old 04-02-2023, 05:26 PM   #8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
I'm trying to remember if I ever read a single Hemingway novel. I'm embarrassed that I don't think I have.

I thought I read Old Man and the Sea for English class but I'll be damned if I know for sure.
You know what's funny is that I thought I had read Old Man and the Sea and I remembered specific parts of it. So when I decided to read it again, I thought it couldn't be that great cause I don't remember DISliking it, but I don't remember it blowing my mind either.

So I read it again. Turns out I had never read it at all! And it was even better than I misremembered! The story I really read in an English class so long ago was actually "The Open Boat" by Stephen Crane. Crane was big time but he died young (28 years old, TB). His prose was on Faulkner's level though. He would have gone down as the best of all time had he lived longer.

So your homework, Scho, is to read both the Old Man and the Sea and The Open Boat and report back about which one you liked better. They are both quick reads. They are both well worth it.
Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote