View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 09:04 PM   #930
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Okay, year in review.

This is undoubtedly my worst season ever, due to a quarterback collapse and a weak defense. The rest of my offense was probably the strongest group that I've fielded, with a lot of strengths and no glaring weakness. But if you don't have a quarterback, you're doomed.

My defense entered a rebuilding phase. The defensive backfield was okay, and my defensive ends were solid. But I was abysmal at defensive tackle and linebacker. We have a lot of work to do.

My draft needs next year are:

1. Quarterback. I really have to hope for a rebound by Russell Wilson.
2. Defensive tackle. I need both bodies and quality here. I was able to ignore this position forever, and then they all left the league at once.
3. Linebacker. I've never had success at LB, and I draft them constantly. I'll keep trying, and I actually may look better if my two rookies of Chenal and Nakobe Dean develop.

Somehow I also need to find a WR1 and an ascending CB atop those things.

Quarterback

Russell Wilson
Sam Ehlinger
Carson Strong (Rookie)

What can I say here? Russell Wilson fell off a cliff. Ehlinger got a few starts midseason to see if he could improve things, but he was even worse. I'm going to have to do something drastic in the draft going forward.

Running Back

Isaih Pacheco (Rookie)
Alvin Kamara
Rashaad Penny
Ronald Jones II

I had a good 1-2 punch with Pacheco and Kamara. The running game worked this year. Penny always looks really good in the handful of games that he plays before going on IR for the year. My running back room was decent.

Fullback

Michael Burton

Okay.

Wide Receiver

Juju Smith-Schuster
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Marquez Valdez-Scantling
Terrace Marshall
Khalil Shakir (Rookie)
Justin Watson
James Washington

I actually improved notably here this year. Juju and Donovan and Marquez were serviceable starting receivers as a platoon. Terrace has been disappointing, but is a viable #4 WR. Shakir got a few catches, as did Justin Watson, so my group was pretty deep. James Washington is going to need a miracle to make the team next year as a second-round bust.

Tight End

Travis Kelce
Blake Bell
Grant Calcaterra (Rookie)

Kelce is awesome. Bell was injured most of the year, so Calcaterra was my non-impactful #2 TE. He's developing, though.

Offensive Tackles

Orlando Brown, Jr.
Morgan Moses
Geron Christian
Lucas Niang, G/T

Brown and Moses were pillars at tackle for me. My depth was questionable but I never needed it. I was strong here.

Guard

Wyatt Teller
Trey Smith
Joe Thuney

These guys were all great. Teller and Smith each missed a little time, but with three great guards I had no dropoff.

Center

Cody Whitehair

Whitehair was solid. He missed a few games, so one of my guards would've needed to move inside for a few games.

Kicker

Harrison Butker

He had a rough year with injuries, but was good when he played.

Punter

Tommy Townsend

All-pro!

Long Snapper

James Winchester

Best in the business

Safety

Jordan Poyer
Andre Cisco
Justin Reid
Deon Bush

Poyer was a pro bowler, and Cisco and Reid gave me good depth. Solid group here.

Cornerback

Marcus Peters
Desmond King
Coby Bryant (Rookie)
Amik Robertson
Shaun Wade

Moderately serviceable group here. Peters held down one spot, and King and Bryant were an okay 2 and 3 CB. Not great, but okay.

Outside Linebacker

Leo Chenal (Rookie)
Anthony Nelson
Zach Baun
Elijah Lee
Cameron McGrone

This was an area of major weakness. Chenal is ascending, but was a rookie, and Nelson is a part-time pass rusher. The other guys are all used car salesmen next year.

Inside Linebacker

Nakobe Dean (Rookie)

Terrible. I figured he would be a Week 1 starter, and he barely played all year.

Defensive end

George Karlaftis (Rookie)
Yetur Gross-Matos
Dorance Armstrong
Carlos Dunlap
Ifeadi Odenigbo

I finally have a starting-caliber defensive end in Karlaftis, and Gross-Matos started all 17 games as well. Dorance Armstrong is a strong pass rusher, and Dunlap is a good rotational guy. Odenigbo can play in a pinch. This group actually isn't bad.

Defensive Tackle

Andrew Billings
Tershawn Wharton
Kalia Davis (Rookie)
Marvin Wilson

Zoicks. This was a disaster. Andrew Billings hung in there all year, but Tershawn was hurt early and the other two never saw the field. I probably would've had to move Dunlap inside.

Last edited by Rain Man; 02-05-2023 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Typographical error required fixing.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.