Thread: Movies and TV Oppenheimer
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 02:48 PM   #6
Supporter

I hope this isn't a miss.

I really liked Dunkirk and Nolan's capacity to put WWII visuals on the screen.

But this is a very different endeavor. I read the General and the Genius (not Genious btw) about the Manhattan project focusing on Oppenheimer and Groves. Whatever you might think about the book, the story of Oppenheimer is a very very complicated and nuanced story. It is difficult for scholars who have spent a lifetime studying the Manhattan project and subsequent events and interviews.

Any artistic license taken would seriously impact a well documented life executing well documented events. It's not like the Dunkirk movie that had relatively faceless characters that he could use in whatever way he wanted to tell the story.

FWIW, the General and the Genius is a really good book for those interested. There are a lot of touchy subjects it does a good job of navigating them fairly and (IMO) objectively. And some of them are pretty serious, like how Stalin knew about the bomb before Truman at Potsdam.

All that is difficult to tell in an anthology of books, much less in a feature film.

But Nolan has earned the rope to hang himself.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.