View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #5303
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Goddamn notorious

I used to be a run it until it dies guy, but I'm keeping a decent pickup around for the farm for reliability purposes. So for whatever it's worth here has been our experience.

Dad's 2019 5.6 L with 56,000 broke a lifter
Moms 2022 with 2,000 killed a transmission
My 2021 6.2 L with 21,000 broke a lifter

All within 6 weeks of each other.

Now, I know that if they all started at the same time, it wouldn't be that bad, but I was feeling kind of picked on. I also know they're GM, not RAM. I also know it's a small sample size and not representative of any larger group of vehicles.

Nonetheless, I've decided I'm not going to run anything out of warranty. My pickup has a fleet warranty on it so it gets 100K drivetrain, and the wife's car I bought an extended one on. We still have a farm vehicle for the wife that is out of warranty, but once it goes away, I'll probably keep that one warranty too.

Oh, one more anecdote: My MPCI adjuster broke a lifter in his RAM about the time I got my pickup back out of the shop.

I'm not telling anybody to do anything, but I'm going to keep shit in warranty.
I went ahead and bucked up the extra $1,200 for the extended warranty on mine (though I'm honestly not sure how I'd even go about making a claim - probably just call the dealership and have them walk me through it). I believe it added 100K and 10 years to my standard 3/36K. And it's the full boat warranty rather than just a powertrain one.

The reason is that when my Ford was about 5 years old, every stupid little gadget in the world broke on it. The power running boards jammed because their gears all stripped out. The sliding rear glass went out. The ****ing fuel door elastic broke so the door wouldn't stay shut (they wanted $800 to repair it because you had to take the body panel off the bed to get to the stupid little rubber piece). A couple major AC components failed. The catalytic converter plates in the front shattered so it rattled like a paint can when it idled. The rag joint got loose so it gave me a 'hitch' when I started moving. Mostly I ****ing hated that piece of shit Ford. Worst vehicle I've ever owned (though the engine was great; started right up every time). That thing got driven like a minivan and yet something seemed to break on it every month.

I didn't fix any of it (except the AC). Because the thing still ran and it would've cost like $8 grand to have it all done. And by the end - **** that truck, I wanted it to be uncomfortable. I wouldn't spend money on it out of spite.

Now fast forward to the Ram with even more tech and now a giant touch-screen that controls most of what goes on. If that touch screen fails, I'm not completely certain the thing would even go in gear. And you KNOW that's a $3K fix somehow. I had such a bad experience with every gadget on that ****ing Ford failing that I decided that I would get the warranty to make sure I could always just fix that crap until the truck was old enough that I didn't care anymore. There's just too much whiz/bang stuff on modern pickup trucks.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.