Thread: Movies and TV Top gun trailer
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 08:52 AM   #241
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I would agree with that, except for me that was kind of a bummer.

To me it would have been much better had Maverick died saving Rooster's life. As it was, you have this "impossible" attack and everybody survives. That would be like all the rebels surviving the Death Star attack. Well actually, this WAS all the rebels surviving the Death Star attack, since that whole sequence blatantly ripped off Star Wars, at least until they went full reerun with both getting shot down/surviving/escaping in the old tomcat.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this was basically Avatar with jets. While it wasn't nearly as bad/annoying/insulting as Avatar was, any comparison to Avatar outside of special effects is not a good thing. That's how lame and predictable the story was.
While the storytelling WAS predictable, I think the point of all that training was the make the mission surviveable, no?

That was Maverick's point - you can and will survive this thing if you fly to the outer edge of your abilities and I'm going to teach you how to do that.

That was the main conflict between him and Jon Hamm, no? Hamm had a set of mission parameters that made the mission more doable but less surviveable. They could've gone in slow and high, made a suicide run out of it, gotten the job done and then gotten blown up.

But Maverick believed his way would allow them to get in, get it done, get out and live to tell about it. And the survival of the 'team' proved him correct. That was kinda the premise of the entire movie - we NEED seat of his pants instructor to teach these high risk maneuvers to give these kids a chance to return home. Otherwise you can just have Jon Hamm tell them what to do and get them killed when all is said and done (as Hamm basically acknowledged).

Now the Tomcat part? Yeah, that was fan service. But !@#$ you because it was F-14s and an F-14 on a big screen again is awesome. And they did at least make the first kill reasonably plausible. The 2nd...uh...less so.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.