Thread: Movies and TV The Boys (Amazon)
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
I don't know if you watch, but there's the concept of satirical viciousness, and then there's the execution.

And while I enjoy the show overall, the fit and finish is pretty ham-handed.

They'll have someone making a point about one issue, and then the chyron, or a reaction soundbite, references a completely unrelated buzzword.

For instance in the last episode, they replayed some of Homelander's speech from the previous episode about how he's tired of pretending he isn't superior to the rest of mankind, and the banner at the bottom of the broadcast said something about 'Homelander complains about cancel culture.'

That's a case of not respecting the intricacy of the source narrative and just wanting to insert buzzword snark.

Like I say, I mostly enjoy the show, . . . but the satire 'updating' is pretty amateurish.
Oh, and I just remembered, when they introduced Supersonic and they had to remind us several times he was hispanic because he looked like a regular fratboy dudebro boybander, . . . and it turns out it was just to pay off the joke where Homelander orders him a Vaught Taco Salad.

On one hand, a teensy bit clever and funny, . . . on the other incredibly ham-handed, desperate and shoehorned.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote