Thread: Movies and TV Top gun trailer
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #189
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
I see so many complaints/shots on social media about this movie being war propaganda

It’s about as low on propaganda as a movie about the military could possibly be.
Cruise has said himself - it's a love letter to naval aviation.

And when you watch it - just...duh. Of course it is. It's a salute to sailors and aviators. There's a reason its first screening was on the deck of a carrier. He loves these dudes.

Is that propaganda? I mean, I guess if you have sand in your vag. Remember, the concept of 'public relations' didn't exist until Edward Bernays decided that 'propaganda' had developed a negative connotation as a term of art. So he came up with a new one.

So if you use 'PR' as the proxy for 'propaganda' as it was originally intended - oh sure, why not. Yeah, if that's what you wanna call it, you can.

And is it pro-military? Um...yes. Very obviously.

Y'know what? Good. Jesus - has the entire country turned into disaffected twats? Are we a nation of 350 million Janine Garofalos?

Christ I hope not.

Yes - we absolutely still have a place in the world for 'rah rah, go USA!' movies. In fact in many ways we've had a gaping void in that area for years. I'm not going to pretend this is something that it isn't and don't feel compelled to anyway.

I mean - there's a group of people that spend a lot of time running away from the most obvious labels one could put on them - and weirdly, it's the same people who insist we run away from this. Projection; the same thing we always see from...uh...this group of people.

Last edited by DJ's left nut; 06-10-2022 at 01:47 PM..
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote