Thread: Movies and TV Top gun trailer
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 07:23 AM   #165
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Yeah - dunno why but the F-18 sorta became the red-headed step-child of the 4th generation fighters. Always seemed overlook but a remarkably versatile and effective platform in its own right.

It doesn’t have thrust vectoring, does it? What gives it that kind of ability to maneuver like that? I thought thrust vectoring was kinda what made that kind of nose authority possible? Definitely a bit over my skiis there…

The wing extensions on each side of the canopy (greatly enlarged from the YF-17 to F-18) are what gives it amazing nose control at all speeds. If an opponent gets a little slow against an 18 it's ****ed.

The only plane that has thrust vectoring (and only 2 dimensional) is the F-22, for the US. I guess the Marine F-35 counts, but I think it's only used for takeoff and landing just like the Harrier.

Our designers determined there is way too much energy lost while using 3 dimensional vectoring. The Russians have it on a few planes, and they appear to defy physics.

It would be on everything if the US determined it increases lethality.

Last edited by notorious; 06-07-2022 at 07:34 AM..
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.