View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 10:05 PM   #525
Veteran

Great point. I just think that there’s enough talent in that group that we don’t need to reach for a DE in the first. I don’t like Mafe or karlaftis that much more than a few others in the DE group that should be available later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
Karlaftis is a guy I don't think you have to go up as high to get and save on some draft capital, which would be the reason I'd consider going up for him instead of Johnson. Is he a fit? I'd say yes. I haven't seen any real indication that length is of dire importance to Veach. Not that he has too many examples, but he did draft Danna and brought in Malik Herring. I'd have to think he'd prefer it but I don't think it's a deal-breaker. I think the length is relative at the position anyhow because it's a lot more about how they use their hands, present their body to the tackle, move their feet, etc. Hutchinson is taller than Karlaftis but has shorter arms, for example. I really don't think it's that important. Look at Bud Dupree, the same size as Karlaftis. He's pretty good.

Does Sam Williams have more upside? I don't know about that. Athletically, absolutely. That said, Johnson has some pretty good athleticism. But he's also nowhere near Karlaftis or Johnson technically or from a "motor" standpoint. I think about guys that are really good and they just keep coming every single down, win or lose. I don't think you're getting that from Williams but I do think you're getting it from Karlaftis and Johnson. That's my hangup. I fell in love with the athletic talent early on but have come down quite a bit on Williams. I'd like him in the 3rd. It's hard to measure upside, it's alot more than athleticism. The guy needs the drive to be great.
kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.