View Single Post
Old 03-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #2996
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Chief View Post
I have a venison roast that I'm interested in smoking. I'd welcome any advice since this is a first for me.
It's a little tricky, since there's basically no fat in the meat. You have to be really careful about not overcooking it. It can go from delicious to inedible in a matter of minutes. Temp probe is a must. I'd highly recommend a good marinade/tenderizer too. I use Allegro Hickory Smoke tenderizer. Marinate for 12-24hrs. Smoke it low and slow until internal temp hits 130-135. If internal temp gets over 140, it's gonna turn to leather quickly. I spray it with a mix of olive oil/water/apple juice every 45 minutes or so. Just remember that venison is like beef, there's no danger in cooking it rare.

The backstrap is my favorite venison cut to smoke though, if you have one. Leave the entire backstrap whole. Don't butterfly it. Smoke it whole like a big loin. Cut into medallions when done. I do this often when we have potlucks at work, and it just blows people's minds. They always say "Oh, I don't like venison it's too gamey." Then they try mine and argue that it isn't actually venison.

Good luck.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.