Thread: Movies and TV AVATAR 2
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 10:12 PM   #78
Sometimes it's black and white

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
So I read back through this complete thread. I previously posted how blown away I was by the special effects for when they came out and how meh the plot was.

If all you got is special effects, that doesn't usually age well. Not too many think the King Kong from the 30's or Godzilla films from the 50's are the all time cinematic masterpieces of that era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare View Post
Wizard of Oz
Wizard of Oz didn't stay famous decade after decade merely because of special effects.

It really did capture hearts and minds with the characters and story.

Pay no attention to the wizard behind the curtain.

Toto we're not in Kansas anymore.

The wicked witch is dead.

What similar scene from Avatar would ever have similar staying power?

And then it became famous because it was a part of the American Canon that everyone knew.

I guess a counter example is 2001 Space Odyssey. The book was reasonable but the movie didn't age well as it's not much more than special effects.
However, it shows up on a surprising number of top 100 movie lists of critics that I would guess haven't seen it in thirty+ years.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote