View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #6556
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Don't you think it would be a huge waste to play Melendez anything but Catcher? Most reports are positive about his defensive I've read. Salvy can't frame either and if Melendez catches 75% and Salvy 25% that saves Salvy sooo much so he can just rake.

If Melendez hits in MLB in an expected fashion based on his Milb numbers we have a potential 8 WAR player on our hands. Muuuuch less in OF.
I think it's a huge waste to not play him and Perez in full-time roles.

I don't really care what that looks like. If it was me, I'd play whichever one was my best defender 100 games behind the plate. That's likely Perez.

I'd then DH Perez for 50 games or so.

That leaves me 60 games behind the dish for Melendez and 90 games to find him playing time somewhere else.

He's athletic enough to play 3B and LF and actually be a plus player at both (especially 3B, which is an important defensive position). If he hits like expected, the ability to always have a plus, middle-of-the-order bat at C is a major benefit to lineup construction.

You keep Perez fresh and get the best version of him. You have generally plus defense at C. You have league-best offense at the C spot. You get 45 games of plus D at 3B with a plus bat and 45 games of average D with an average bat for the position.

I'm anxious to see how much contact Melendez and Pratto make at the highest level. I am more optimistic about Melendez but still suspect we'll be happy if he's a .260 hitter (with a .340 or so OBP and .500+ SLG).
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote