View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #11
I'm with the Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
Ok, so I would not argue that Bill isn't the GOAT coach, because he is.

But what is it that makes him such a defensive genius? Because to my observation, he's not particularly innovative. There are no like...schemes nobody's seen before. There aren't particularly exotic blitz packages, there aren't cover packages that are unique.

It's accountability. Like...that's his whole ****ing thing. Every player has his role, and is accountable to execute it. That's it. That's the whole thing. And if you don't, you're gone. And if you do, and you get expensive, you're gone. And if you get complacent or too comfortable, you're gone. Period.

I do think it was pretty brilliant years ago when he switched to the 3-4 mostly because nobody else but Pittsburgh was using it at that time, and so those front 7 types were undervalued and easier to find. Then when half the league went to it they weren't anymore so he switched back.

I think his 'genius' comes down to being ruthlessly practical and holding everyone absolutely accountable. That's it.
This line of thinking will never be achievable until Reid retires. He's waaaay too loyal on the personal side.
Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.