View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
Ok, so I would not argue that Bill isn't the GOAT coach, because he is.

But what is it that makes him such a defensive genius? Because to my observation, he's not particularly innovative. There are no like...schemes nobody's seen before. There aren't particularly exotic blitz packages, there aren't cover packages that are unique.

It's accountability. Like...that's his whole ****ing thing. Every player has his role, and is accountable to execute it. That's it. That's the whole thing. And if you don't, you're gone. And if you do, and you get expensive, you're gone. And if you get complacent or too comfortable, you're gone. Period.

I do think it was pretty brilliant years ago when he switched to the 3-4 mostly because nobody else but Pittsburgh was using it at that time, and so those front 7 types were undervalued and easier to find. Then when half the league went to it they weren't anymore so he switched back.

I think his 'genius' comes down to being ruthlessly practical and holding everyone absolutely accountable. That's it.

Well, you know, that and the cheating.

But he is also pretty innovative. He's willing to shitcan an entire system if the gameplan dictates it. Plus, that deal in the AFCCG in 18 where the DL all stunted to the outside, nobody had seen that.

But yeah, it's largely his approach. But the cheating definitely helps.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.