View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #854
Veteran

Theodore Sturgeon wrote a lot of crappy stories. Here are ten of them. He's written a handful of stories that I really like, but the vast majority of his stories feel like a combination of a hacky 1940s sci-fi writer who doesn't know much about science and the writings of a middle aged dude desperately trying to fit in to late 1960s youth culture. Which I guess is what he was. A good chunk of his middle and late period stories just feel like sub par attempts at writing sophisticated "adult" stories for New Yorker type magazines.

And truthfully, after reading 11 volumes of his collected works as well as reading some of his correspondence Sturgeon seems like a flake and a bit of a creep. Ted's the kind of guy who'd write you a nice letter about the nature of love chock full of words like "gestalt" and "syzergy" and at the end you'd realize that he's telling you he's banging your sister.

Next:

This is part one of a trilogy of stories designed to cap off the novel-verse continuity that is no longer compatible with the modern Trek shows. It's probably going to suck for three reasons:

1) Modern Trek is rubbish
2) The current novel continuity was pretty good during the reign of the previous editor Marco Palmieri but have been on a steady decline since his departure several years ago.
3) This novels author, Dayton Ward, while occasionally writing something good has a tendency to pad his books with pointless, sometimes totally unrelated, recaps of previous Trek novels and episodes.

But since I've read hundred of Trek books leading up to this I might as well finish it off.
Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.