View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #33
**** the Raiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I'd say they're spiritual successors, to be sure, but there's definitely grounds to distinguish them.

I think Rio Bravo is easily the best of the 3. El Dorado is decent in its own way, but nowhere near the quality of film as Rio Bravo. It's a little more goofy, IMO. Rio Lobo is pretty much an also ran.

And while I do enjoy me some Josephine MacDonald, the latter two movies do not have Angie Dickinson. Apart from being a genuinely good actress, she's just awfully enjoyable to look at.

Feathers is probably the best female character in a John Wayne western. Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man is the best female character in any John Wayne movie, but she wasn't as good in the westerns (good in Big Jake, but her part was too small).
Oh, sure, there are obviously differences between the three but, the over all plot and structure are the same. And I agree that Rio Lobo is an also ran. Definitely the weakest of the three. One has to wonder how much better it might have been if Duke got his way and played the old drunken coot role.

Hmmm, I can’t really disagree with your take on Feathers as the best female character but, I can think of a couple of competitors that we could certainly have a discussion about: Vera Miles in Liberty Valance, and Lauren Bacall in The Shootist.
Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.