View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #11531
Kind of a mod

Broader PF question for you guys: How do you think about emergency funds when you're otherwise set up really well?

I'd consider my wife and I to be pretty well off these days. Stable jobs that pay well. Unlikely that we'd both lose them at the same time. We are pretty good at planning ahead and have savings specifically earmarked for major travel, car, and home improvement purchases.

I've always been pretty conservative about saving and currently have easily ~4 months of true "emergency savings" allocated that would cover the unlikely event of both job losses. But I keep looking at that savings account total (which includes all of the other major savings buckets) and wondering if I could do better with at least PART of what we have saved.

We have years worth of savings in our Roths, which we could tap into in a true catastrophe. We're at about 70% equity on our house, so I'm not really worried about foreclosure kinds of scenarios. I wouldn't ever just dump all of my savings into an aggressive portfolio, but just curious if you guys generally cheat on the "X months of emergency savings" recommendations once you have a pretty good cushion built up in other ways.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote