Thread: Movies and TV Must Watch Series
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #1217
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydogg58 View Post
The White Lotus on HBO.

It's a comedy/almost murder mystery where you are rooting for all the characters to die. We just watched the first 5 shows and goddam it's hilarious and addicting.

Steve Zahn and the manager Armond are the best characters so I'm hoping it's not either of them that bites it.
I am fascinated by the story around the story as much as the story.

Mike White [creator/director] has always been a wild card when it comes to narrative. He finds empathy AND villains in surprising places.

The viewers in today's morays are gaggling about what an unmitigated asshole Shane is, and exuding sympathy for Armond despite his growing villainy, and I'm on tinterhooks to see who ends up sympathetic and who ends up the big bad by the conclusion of the narrative.

Everyone right now [by my eye] has pulls of villainy and sympathy in relative balance. Maybe because I just finished rewatching Succession while watching this and my eye for nuance in narrative is heightened. I can see why each of them are irritating, but everyone has a foundation of justifability as well.

Well crafted, all in all.

Brian Williams' little girl Allison had to have breathed a sigh of relief seeing the end of the last episode, now that she's no longer the go-to visual for that particular plot development.

Spoiler!
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.