View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #4429
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER View Post
I seem to remember seeing that the plan would be to leave Starships behind that could be used as long-term habitats but that may have just been some rumor or idea someone had. Makes sense though if you could retrofit the entire rocket to be living quarters.

Also saw a thing where the PSI on a plane is only 4-5 but that may not be the case on a planet with little atmosphere to begin with. Clearly pressurizing habitats is not my strong suit but I find it super interesting and hope Musk pulls it off.
Yeah, all sorts of people throwing out ideas on how to use SS as habitats (including the empty tankage) on reddit. The most common hurdle seems to be trying to figure out how to go from vertical to horizontal so that the ship could be partially buried in order to protect against radiation as well as making it easier to live in. Unfortunately their not build to withstand that orientation and I doubt Musk intends to create a special version. I imagine the first few SS on Mars may double as temporary or emergency shelters, but they won't be used longer term.

NASA has been running an autonomous 3D printed habitat challenge for a few years now. Some absolutely beautiful designs as well as some already tested concepts.

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/sp...Hab/index.html

Here is a quick video from the finale winner. They are apparently trying to use the tech to build homes in areas with minimal access for construction/materials here on Earth as well.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, this was my favorite entrant...

Last edited by unlurking; 08-02-2021 at 04:27 PM..
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.