View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #4423
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER View Post
So a question for those who know more about this:

Mars has almost no atmosphere and an explosive decompression is always a moment away? How do you colonize that kind of environment? One defect or stress can result in everyone dying pretty quickly, no?

In all seriousness, I think they've had a LOT of experience with ISS and "explosive" decompression is mostly a movie thing. IIRC, the ISS is currently losing 1lb a day of atmosphere through leaks. A recent Soyouz was found to have a hole rooted in a manufacturing mistake. The spacecraft survived launch and docking with the hole. Leaking atmosphere is just life in space.

EDIT: References...
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018...airs-continue/

Couldn't find the 1lb per day loss I mentioned, but assuming my Duck-Fu is just not strong today, but there has been a known leak for a year...
"The air leak in the Zvezda module, which provides living quarters for crew members and life support systems, was detected last year. It poses no danger to the crew but persists despite attempts to fix it by sealing cracks."
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...le-2021-07-31/

Last edited by unlurking; 08-02-2021 at 01:12 PM..
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.