View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #10844
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTG#10 View Post
I know this is a dumb question and probably already covered to death in this thread but,

I just opened up a Roth IRA for the first time through Fidelity and deposited $500. Do I have to do anything for it to grow once the funds clear from my checking account? Like do I need to choose what the money I contribute is invested in or does Fidelity handle that for me while I just collect dividends?
A lot of places will automatically dump it into a money market account for you, but that's a pretty poor way to have it grow. You'll want to invest it just like any other brokerage account. (Might I suggest index funds...)

Regardless, note that you'll need to do it each time you make a deposit. That can be a pain, but if you get on a schedule, I'd guess you can set up automatic deposits and automatic buys. Fidelity can probably help you figure out the best way to do it to meet your needs.

Do be aware that Roths are capped at $6k per year, so don't go too nuts.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.