View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #8671
The man you could post like.

I am pleased to file the companion bill, SB 76, to Chairman Dustin Burrows' HB 298, which would require legislative approval before a public senior college or university can change membership in a collegiate athletic conference. HB 298 is joint authored by Representatives Jeff Leach, Greg Bonnen, and Charlie Geren. I also want to thank my Senate joint authors - Senators Lois Kolkhorst, Charles Perry, and Beverly Powell, for their support and collaborative efforts.

This legislation would inhibit the proposed move of the University of Texas to the SEC without legislative approval. Such a move would negatively impact other Big 12 schools in our state like Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech. These schools and their surrounding communities heavily depend on the financial income that BIG 12 football provides. Without a significant player like Texas, along with the possible departure of OU, the Big 12 becomes a less favorable conference, effectively losing a substantial amount of viewership and attendance. Texas athletic programs are pivotal to many areas of our state. A major change in conference dynamics could have a devastating effect on tourism, the economy, and the general status of Texas collegiate regions. Conference membership and standing also have the power to greatly enhance academic opportunities and the recruiting of faculty, scholars, and students.

The University of Texas is an agent of the state and is ultimately making an economic decision solely focused on their own welfare. What is best for the University of Texas may not be best for the state as a whole. The legislature represents the best interest of the state. Therefore, this decision cannot be made independently without legislative approval. This bill is the necessary course of action to avoid universities making decisions that are for their betterment but to the detriment of the state.

I am honored to work with fellow legislative members in both the Senate and the House, who understand the importance of this legislation. I seek to expand support with co-authors in both bodies. Thank you to Chairman Burrows for his leadership in this effort.

My colleagues and I urge the Governor to add this essential piece of legislation to our agenda for this current special session.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.