View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #795
Here We Go Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Kharkanas is dry, and depressing, but still brilliant. Seeing Anomandaris BEFORE he BECAME Anomander is incredible.

ICE is up and down. The first few books read like they are his first few books.

The path to Ascendancy stuff is really excellent and tells the backstory of Kellanved and Dancer. I also would highly recommend checking out The Return of the Crimson Guard, which shows some key pieces of the main timeline/story.

Knight of Knives is also good reading to supplement the main timeline, though it isn't incredibly strong writing.

ICE answers some key questions/fills in key backstory. The writing isn't as sharp and the scope is less epic. But it's worthwhile if you want more time in the world and want more questions answered.
You've hit it pretty spot on. Return of the Crimson Guard is the best ICE story, and I'd say they all are worth a read. I have only read them once, but may go back and reread again.

Kharkanas is brutal reading. It has a peculiar rhythm to it that takes some time to get in tune with. Had I been able to read it when I was much younger with no family and more free time, I think I would have enjoyed it more. I never finished the 2nd book.
lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.