Thread: Computers Laptops Thunderbolt Question
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #50
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Rumors are that they're going to move towards rectifying that. They're adding ports back to the next MacBook Pro from what I've read.

Hopefully they get it. The thing about ARM is that it allows a lot more space while preserving the thin design because of the thermal advantages over Intel. It should allow them to add back more peripherals.

I hold out hope that things will improve as they iterate on their own silicon. I think it certainly looks promising.
Well they really should, because it's stupid to not include ports when there's current room for it in the chassis and plenty of power for it. Hell the current M1 Macbook Pro can presently provide video output to both TB4/USB-C ports, but they choose to limit it to one, unless you run DisplayLink software. It's dumb.

I've got the new M1 Macbook Pro. 16GB RAM. I have to say, the performance is very impressive for Apple silicon apps. With x86 apps in Rosetta, there's really not that much of a performance difference between the latest top-line Intel models. Noticeable though. But the Apple Silicon coded apps? Wow... Crazy fast. Navigation is so smooth. Battery life is incredible.

For comparison, I just setup this beast earlier this week. 3.2Ghz Zeon. 48GB RAM. 2TB flash SSD.

Performance for the most part, is visibly better on the M1. Just feels much snappier. I really thought it would be much closer. But these new M1 machines are no joke. Once developers catch up with coding ARM apps/drivers/extensions, it's going to be even more noticeable.

Got a M1 Mac Mini on the way. That little beast has 10GB ethernet available for a $100 upgrade. The really cool thing... it doesn't share any bandwidth with the rest of the system. Linus did a test hooking up like 8 USB-C devices, and could not affect the network speed at all. It was really impressive.

This new batch of ARM Apple Silicon has incredible potential. Best Apple hardware improvement in a long time...

Last edited by Fish; 05-20-2021 at 09:50 PM..
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote