Thread: Music Favorite Live Album?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
I could of gone pro

From Nov '70 to Dec '71 I was stationed in the DMZ of South Korea at little Army airfield, Stanton AAF. We had a 2000' runway and about 60 helicopters and patrolled the 18 miles of the American section of the 38th parallel. I worked in the control tower. Besides the airfield the basic camp area was small, maybe 200 troops and an NCO club, a chapel that had records and turntables, a PX, a mess hall and our barricks.

Once on a normal weekday and I had just come out of the NCO club after a liquid lunch and the bright sunlight hit me and I heard this loud music, I thought it was a band playing. I walked about 100' to this one large concrete 3 story barricks that sat in the middle of the camp. I looked up and a window was open at the top and I could hear the music coming out of that window, I thought they can't have band in a little room up there. It was Deep Purple Child in Time Live and I could Ian Gillan screaming.

I walked to the building and entered the first floor stairway and the music at that level was about how I would play it when I played it very loud. I went up to the second floor and now it was extremely loud. I walked up to the third floor and a bunch of Katusa's (Koreans Assigned to the US Army) were sitting on their beds holding their ears and looks like they were in a daze. I walked into this 2 man room and there was 6 large Pioneer 100 watt speakers on the wall and a 200 watt Pioneer amp turned full volume. Two GIs were standing there stoned and listening, to what I have no idea, it was just a solid wall of sound. I left and went about my day and that's how I always remember that song. I also got to see Deep Purple in 1972 in Savannah Georgia.

I googled the camp and it closed in 2004, here's a photo of the camp now and the 3 story concrete building on the left.

DeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote