View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #2701
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I don't cook on the WSM, just my Weber kettle, but some thoughts:

Nothing wrong with your setup or the heat you were running if you were able to keep that constant temp. I don't run any higher than 250 on a butt. You just hit the stall is my guess. Pork butt is gonna have a stall sometime throughout the cook where the temp just doesn't move, sometimes for an hour plus.

As far as putting it in the oven, there's nothing wrong with that. It's my understanding that the meat won't really take any more smoke on after it gets to roughly 160 anyhow. What you're gonna miss out on is that deep, crusty bark. But it's a worthwhile trade at times.

I've pulled many a butt at the stall, wrapped in foil and finished in the oven. Sacrifice the crust for the ease of cooking in your oven set at 250.
Thanks, after reading you response I looked up stall in smoking and found this great article. I thought the stall was a failure on my part cooking, but it is a common part of smoking. I tried posting for others, but since I new to the message board it would not allow.

Just do a search for this blog

blog.thermoworks.com/pork/pulled-pork-time-temperature-matters
CatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutCatinKS is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about