View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #6788
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation View Post
Someone might have to clarify, but the way I understand it, the hedge fund Melvin Capital was a deep short seller of GameStop. A bunch of kids from reddit with day trading accounts then proceeded to short squeeze the stock and in effect, nearly bankrupt a $14 billion hedge fund in the process. The Mets new owner tried to bail it out yesterday with a $2.7 billion infusion, but that went "poof" in a matter of hours. It's a little double edged because there were probably everyday joe's that had their retirements tied up in that fund, but on the flip-side that was super unethical of the fund manager for tying the bulk of their funds up in short sells....did I get the gist of it?
I think that's the gist, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCUnited View Post
Is short selling in general frowned upon or is it more about Gamestop nostalgia and big money funds betting against it?
Eh, there's nothing particularly "wrong" with short selling except that it can depress the stock's price. However, since stock price has very little to do with a company's day-to-day operations, it MOSTLY doesn't matter. The exception that comes to mind is that companies with a high stock price have more flexible financing options in general, so if they're looking at raising capital or taking out a loan, having a ton of shorts on the stock can make that more difficult.

From what I can tell, this situation is much more about gaming the system and "sticking it to the man" than about Gamestop itself.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote