View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #42
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I thought the Chiefs would take a running back as early as #32 but with met with "**** that! The Chiefs need a guard or a center!".

If the Chiefs had taken a guard or center, there's not a chance in the world that they'd be 15-2 today.

As Reid has proven since his arrival in 2013, his offense isn't about offensive lineman but about the QB and skill position players.

People on CP used to complain that Brady was so good that the Patriots could just plug in anyone off the street and win Super Bowls but when the Chiefs are doing the same exact thing, people continue to bitch that the offensive line "isn't good enough".

The game has changed completely. You don't need 5 1st rounders to protect a QB for 2.2 seconds.
1)CEH was a great pick, no doubt. But I don't think anyone's saying that we need to drop our #1 on a guard. The Bills sold out to stop big passing plays, and so we ran it down their throats behind Allegretti and Kilgore almost exclusively, and both of those guys are better run blockers than they players they replaced. We have some issues running the ball; I don't think it's all about the backs. We have some issues in pass pro- we have issues controlling the line of scrimmage. I think Reiter's pretty lousy whatever some guy at CBS thinks. If he's going to get $11 million, good for him. We can do better anyway, which is really my point. Add to that Schwartz is MIA and big guys with bad backs over 30 don't usually get better and I think there's cause for maybe looking at restocking the line. That's not crazy.

2) obviously, Reid's offense is about skill position players; and we have Hill, Kelce, Hardman, and CEH for 2021 as well as Pringle who looks at least as good as Robinson. Watkins never plays anyway so whatever. It's probably time to draft some new blood in there for depth and development but I'll remind you that only CEH is a #1, and that was at #32. Other than Mahomes, of course, who is what really makes things go. No rookie WR is going to start anyway, it's not gonna happen. The offense is too complicated.

3)I don't think anyone's saying we need to spend a bunch of #1's on the line. Reid and Veach thus far have taken the path of UDFA and low picks in numbers to develop and hit on one here and there. That's cool, and cost effective. It's just that we might want to move it up the priority list a little and maybe get a guy that's more ready to play sooner than later, as we've got one quality starter under contract for 2021 that might be healthy. That's it. ONE. And Fisher's had injury problems that last two years too. Actually, I like Alegretti, so call it two. Like on the whole line.

4) Mahomes likes to chuck it 50 yards downfield. You need more than 2.2 seconds to do that, even when it's Tyreek.

I ain't mad at Veach, we had two covid opt-outs and Osemele exploded both of his knees and Schwart's back is ****ed and Fisher's back was ****ed, and shit happens.

I don't think it's nuts to maybe spend a mid round pick (you know, kind of like Veach and Reid did last season) on an offensive lineman.

Also-I said when we signed Bell (and before, when people wanted to sign him before the season) that his style wasn't a very good fit for a team with a less than average line. That's kind of just proven out.

Darrel Williams is a fine 3rd back. That's all. He's a role player.

Damien can't be a bellcow, he can't stay healthy, you're right. Of course, with CEH here, he becomes the #2. That's probably fine.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote