Thread: Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #724
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Connection View Post
S3 of Discovery was likely the worst yet. The Su'Kal storyline would have worked as its own one-off or 2-parter episode (its conclusion was surprisingly affecting), but to make it the conclusion/culmination of the entire season and make him be the source of the season-long "Burn" mystery? That's the best they could come up with a completely blank canvas in the 32nd century?

It honestly feels like the writers just wanted to find a way to make Burnham captain by the end of the season (because everything must always revolve around the greatness of Burnham at all times) and thought this storyline was a way to get Saru out of the picture temporarily to make that happen.

The villain went back to cartoony evil in the finale after an attempt to make her mildly interesting for an episode. She also died in the most anti-climactic way ever (I have no idea what she pushed Burnham into and clearly she didn't have much clue either). Some mysteries throughout the season also went absolutely nowhere (what about that mystery song/rhythm that somehow everyone knows across the entire galaxy? Never got an explanation on that).

They did try to develop other characters like Culber and Tilly this season but I don't think they were entirely successful at that either. Without Pike and Spock from S2 (or Lorca from S1 pre ridiculous reveal/transformation), S3 became nothing more than the Michael Burnham Show completely. It's clearly what the writers always wanted, but this show has no real direction beyond that at this point. Such a waste.
I can't really disagree with any of this. Having Su'Kal be the cause of The Burn was just about the most anti-climactic thing they could have done.

And yes, it does seem that the whole thing was just a pretext to make Burnham the captain. I'd much prefer that they bring back Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca.
Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.