View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #15923
Ultrabanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Most of the hams you buy in a supermarket are City Hams. They are wet brined a faster curing process and can be overly salty if not soaked for 24 to 72 hours prior to cooking or warming. If pressed for time can boil the saline out but changes the texture.

Country Hams my favorite is dry cured and slow smoked over a long period. It has a more smokey flavor and generally even saltier. You slice it off the bone and soak or boil if you cant stand the salty flavor. It makes the best ham salad samitches. Country hams are the ham shanks you will see around xmas or easter wrapped in burlap or cheesecloth.
My mom and step-dad always get us a ham for Christmas on top of everything else. They typically go all-out. Usually it's a couple 8lbers and I'll slice/cube some up for sandwiches or ham/beans or scalloped potatoes/ham.

This year they got me a full 18lb ham and I'm a little concerned about how I'm gonna cook that thing. It's a monster. Guessing I'll use it for my wife's family Easter, they've got enough people.

I've used orange juice for moisture and Meat Church Honey BBQ rub with a little extra brown sugar on the outside and it's turned out well for Thanksgiving. Take the drippings out and reduce them by about 2/3 and use that as a glaze then crank the oven heat up to crisp a little bit.

Buehler I will say I've made ham in the crockpot with a triple layer tin foil lid covering it the same way and it heated up in about 6 hours and turned out just fine.
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.