Thread: Movies and TV Star Wars: The Mandalorian
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #1579
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I think it’s an essential ingredient to its success.
Eh, maybe. I think it is a symptom of what makes it successful. I think if we are honest with ourselves, we could rewatch some of it and find scenes/sets that would be better/cleaner with additional CGI.

What makes the thing work is the care they put into it. They care about the story, they care about the characters, they care about ****ing Star Wars, man.

If you look at Mando vs the Sequel Trillogy, in Mando they're telling a story. In the ST they're trying to find pieces to fit a pre-determined formula that has to fit with the notes they want to hit. You can tell they had their formula and filled it in (with a bunch of shit). Then they started the next movie with a pile of shit and determined their endpoint and started filling in shit.

I doubt when they started Mando, they were like - WE NEED TO GET HERE [X]. Now how the **** do we get there? Just like the original Star Wars. They had some characters and told a cool ass story.

But the big thing is they give a shit about the STORY rather than hitting points on a formula. Much more art than corporate production. And the care they put into getting the story right, carries over to the look and feel feeling like Star Wars, the Easter Eggs, tie ins, all of it leads to decisions being made like practical sets. Not necessarily practical sets being reason it works.

FFS there are a lot of notes on the animated series that work.

I mean if this doesn't move the needle for you...

Spoiler!

Bottom line is I think you're mostly right, but it isn't a reason it's successful, its a result of what makes it successful.

Wow, didn't mean to ramble on there. Christ, a direct to streaming series based on a 43 year old movie has me writing long ass posts about how I almost agree with you. I guess that's a sign of what F&F have captured here.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote