Thread: Electronics New TV suggestions
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #61
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Will do.

I actually chose to replace about $150 dollars in parts myself on my 17 year old GE fridge because literally everyone I know that's purchased an LG, Samsung or Kenmore has had problems, from the icemaker to the door unit not working properly and so on.

For those of you that aren't aware, appliancepartspros.com not only carries freakin' every single part available for every company that's still manufacturing replacement parts, they have videos on their website which show exactly how to replace each part. If you understand even the basics of how to use a screwdriver or socket set and so on, these parts are easily replaceable.

I've saved thousands in labor costs just in the past 10 months alone and cannot believe how simple it is to do so.
I'm in a class action on these !@#$ing LG linear compressor model refrigerators.

They're AMAZING....when they're running. I loved my LG except for the fact that every 6 months they'd seize up and since everything is part of a closed system with a known seal failure/line clogging issue, nobody will work on them. So you have to find a factory authorized dealer and they're all WAY booked out because, again, these damn things are shit. It took me 8 weeks to get it repaired once, 6 weeks the other time.

And even under warranty (which only covers parts) you're out about $900 on labor.

So after fixing the damn thing twice in 5 years, I scrapped it and replaced it with a GE. I don't like the GE quite as much, but the door in the ice maker doesn't develop the ice block that takes up the entire bin like the LG did, so that's nice. And the entire back of the fridge is a massive LED backlight so that's awesome. But doesn't feel as substantial and the ice maker is sloooooooow to dispense so as often as not I just open the door and pull the bin out. I also don't think its temperature control is quite as precise.

But it won't have me scrambling to fit a bunch of stuff into my beer fridge/deep freeze every year, so that's nice.

If anyone is looking at a fridge, remember that LG and Kenmore use the same guts and I believe they all utilize their linear compressor setup. DO NOT buy a refrigerator that utilizes that system. It WILL fail and if you're lucky you'll get 5 years before it does. They know it will. The seals are made of a material that breaks down when exposed to the refrigerant and the pieces that decay off will slowly build up in the lines before clogging them up altogether.

This is a thing they know it WILL do, they've known this for over a decade and they've done nothing to address it. Ask any salesman you're working with if what you're looking at uses a linear compressor system and if it does, walk away. And if they don't know, find a different salesman because he's probably just lying - they know about these things.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote