View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #301
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
Other than 2 games against the Indians they really havent played any truly good teams.

There's just really not been a legitimate option to fix the leadoff spot. The teams realistic openings were CF and 2B. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single leadoff type hitter that was readily available for trade at either position.

I thought maybe a trade with the Phillies when they were down on Cesar Hernandez could have worked and it wouldn't have cost much to get him, but he's nothing to write home about. He was simply a guy that got on base, had a little speed, and didn't strike out at the typical Cubs rate.

Had a few discussions on Cubs boards about who they could look at for leadoff this last offseason and looking around at the league I could really only think of taking a shot on Manuel Margot who ultimately got traded to the Rays, but even he was more of a fingers crossed that he takes a few more walks and gets on base more.

The only big splash I could see would have been a trade with the Braves with Bryant or Baez going to Atlanta and one of their CF prospects coming back plus a couple more pieces.
The Braves CF prospects don't project to be plus hitters that I can recall. Pache is more than likely going to be very similar to the guy he's going to replace in Inciarte.

I've always felt like Mallex Smith would thrive in the right home. His 2018 season was a really nice baseline for a modern leadoff hitter. You give me an OBP above .360 w/ some doubles thump and the ability to steal 30+ bases, I'll give you a heck of a lot of rope to hang yourself with.

I don't feel like there are as few of those kinds of guys as we are led to believe, I just don't feel like they're valued at all. Smith's been traded a half-dozen times and for marginal returns each time. And he's always had plus speed, a solid approach and good bat control.

But nobody seems to care that much because he's not going to hit 10 bombs.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.