View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #155
When pigs fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
That's an unusual retirement destination, but it would be interesting.

I went to Easter Island for my 50th birthday, and I think I could live there. It's a small population, but with the tourist economy there were good restaurants, and the island is beautiful. There were some big roaches, but maybe you get used to those.

It's such a small island, as is Ascension, that I don't know if it would eventually make me feel boxed in, though. You can't do much of a road trip in those places.
Easter Island would be such a cool place to visit. I know its a "destination" place, but to me its still so far off the beaten path I would love to go there and spend time. There are a number of cool remote islands that really have no services, but are still tourism based, and you truly vacation. You are disconnected from the internet and everything else. Just seems like a perfect vacation. At the time of my divorce, I was just wanting to leave. I don't remember how Ascensoin landed on my radar, but I started looking into it more and more and it seemed like a great place to start over in.

I'v never spent substantial time on an island, so that boxed in feeling very well could kick in. But as far as a retirement place, I would still consider it. My wife now would say no, so it won't happen. But just being in your own little remote, peaceful corner with nothing to really worry about seems like a paradise to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Sounds like your a hermit, anti-social or the Unibomber.

You're not writing any manifesto's at this time are you?
I'm not a hermit or antisocial, but I do like quiet and remote. No manifesto here, but I did work with a crazy lady at my former job who did write one. She sent it out to the entire company via email. That was a fun little trip down loony lane. They canned her for it, and then I think she went on to get canned from her next job for false imprisonment and domestic abuse. Rumors were she somehow tied her husband to a chair and beat the shit out of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumppy View Post
Going out on a limb but I'll guess they don't have an extradition treaty with the USA.
No clue. Its a territory of the UK, so I wouldn't be so sure of that. I never actually looked into that....maybe I should have?
tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.