View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 02:12 AM   #4128
World's Best Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the analytics say to slide after gaining the 1st down, but I agree. It was an emphatic end to our suffering.. that and the Fuller INT, I suppose, though the game was all but over at that point.
We wouldn’t have known it at the time, but we would have been robbed of Mitch’s call of the Super Bowl had Damien slid. Even Harlan was speechless after that run, but Mitch was ready and rose to the occasion with his “Damien Williams runs his way to immortality” quip. It wouldn’t surprise me if Mitch had written that call in 2003 for a potential Priest Holmes TD in the Super Bowl and then saved it in case a moment like that ever earned it. The call could not have been better for the moment.

I think it's easy for commentators to get so caught up in the moment that they forget that their calls will be immortalized forever. I was pretty underwhelmed by Ryan's call of the Royals winning the World Series (literally "It's OVER. It's DONE"). I actually didn't mind Joe Buck's call of the Royals World Series (Overall, I think he takes a bit of a bad rap. His call of Game 6 in the 2011 World Series still gives me chills as a Royals fan), but I was underwhelmed by his call at the end of the SB (I don't think him and Aikman are a good pairing). So it was poetic to have Mitch Holthus, the undying homer of the Chiefs who has called every game since the 90's with Patrick Mahomes level enthusiasm, to fully understand the significance of the moment and make a pitch-perfect call that captured the exhilaration and catharsis of our entire fandom.

Last edited by Chiefspants; 07-19-2020 at 02:21 AM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote