View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #390
Retired Bearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
You know that the more you do to basically bring all those things to be a part of the team does nothing but make that push stronger...I'd personally tell them if they want to keep that name the best thing they could do is distance themselves from the Native stuff.
This would be a good compromise. I don't agree but it would be a start to calm everyone down.

Arrowhead: An arrowhead is the point of an arrow. In archaeology, arrowheads and similar artifacts are known as projectile points.

Warpaint: paint put on the face, the arms, etc., by Native Americans before going into battle

Tomahawk: The word "tomahawk" is derived from the Algonquian words Tomahak or Tamahakan meaning "used for cutting". The tomahawk was the Native American emblem of warfare - symbolized two sides of a coin: war and peace. ... To bury a tomahawk meant peace - to dig it up, meant to declare the most deadly warfare.

Chiefs: a leader or ruler of a people or clan.
"the chief of the village"
Similar:
leader
chieftain
head
headman
ruler
overlord
master
commander
suzerain
seigneur
liege
liege lord
potentate
sachem
leading
principal
premier
highest
foremost
supreme
grand
superior
arch-
directing
governing
number-one
Opposite:
subordinate
HERALDRY
an ordinary consisting of a broad horizontal band across the top of the shield.
adjective
most important.
"the chief reason for the spending cuts"
Similar:
main
principal
most important
uppermost
primary
prime

Chief:
Middle English: from Old French chief, chef, based on Latin caput ‘head’. (Leader)

I know that many others have made it a point to point out the meaning of the word "chief". That's not my intention.

I'm all for you convincing me why calling someone a chief is bad but calling a leader a "chief" is still confusing.

Chief, not a Chief.....if someone called me chief I would take it as a compliment.

Also, this is coming from the name of a professional football team.....think aloud as you read that.....a sports team. We're grown ass adults talking about the name of a team.
HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.