View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #3166
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas View Post
Pretty good track record, for sure.
This was our first year. We're both definitely happy with how we finished, but I don't think I learned a whole lot on how to get better with game planning. It seemed like whatever changes that I made didn't make much difference in the games.
I did learn how to do better at drafting and free agency, though. Without knowing exactly what was involved in game planning, I didn't know enough about which players to target. For example, I thought that I would focus on a RB that excels at receiving, to go along with Mahomes. Not knowing that I wouldn't be able to game plan how my RB would be used (rushing/receiving) I drafted James White too high.
I had a really good time playing and I'm looking forward to next season.
CD may/may not be willing to confirm this, but how your RB is used depends in massive part on how he performed.

You can't necessarily gameplan to force throws to your RBs, no. But if you have a RB that was a really good pass catcher and you give him the reps (especially if you make him a 3rd down back and have your setting aligned to throw a lot on 3rd), he'll get a lot of throws.

I built up a ton of RB depth in both leagues primarily through mid-late round picks and the passes to RBs vary based on which RB I have out there. It sure seems to make a difference.

The issue you faced is one of fit, IMO. Mahomes has stats that reflect his tendencies - he likes to get downfield with the ball and will check down only if necessary. Well you had Kittle and Cooks. Oftentimes Sammy Watkins as well. You had some dudes that could play and get open so if they are, Mahomes is gonna go to them with his RB as a last resort.

I think that's why I just struggled like mad to get Dak to go downfield (ultimately failed and probably should've dialed down the passing to compensate instead of trying to force an efficient round peg into a bomber's square hole) - because in 2018 (those are the stats we're working from), he just didn't do it that often. 7.4 Y/A despite a 67% completion percentage and a really mediocre QBR supports that - dude just wasn't very aggressive. My hope is that 2019, because of increased stats and more aggressive tendencies from him, yields a far more downfield oriented attack. His YPA went up to 8.2 with his completion percentage actually dropping by more than 2 points. He was clearly more aggressive in '19. Because that seems to be how this thing trends and ultimately I'm 'bout out of ideas when it comes to getting him to get the ball downfield a bit or at LEAST get the damn thing out of your hand when there's pressure.

That's my theory anyway. All of this stuff is about performance and fit, then trying to adjust your gameplans as needed to maximize what each respective player did that season.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.