Thread: Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #2745
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
Alright those of you that have ran lots of rounds through your pistols/guns.
So I have been hearing and reading about why Aluminum, Steel and Nickel cased rounds are bad for your weapon.
I want more opinions just to verify my belief that this stuff is pretty much bunk. I like the idea of Brass the best but with Ammo hard to come by and I don't plan on reloading it don't see why these are really bad for my Glock.
Opinions and experiences please and thanks in advance.
In normal pressure handguns the case material is immaterial. Doesn't seem to matter at all. I have fired more than 3,000 rds of steel cased ammo through my Glock 19 without any issues whatever.

More than 7,000 through my Shield and M&P9C 2.0 (4,500+ through the M&P9C), again no problems.

Firing steel through one of my AR-15s proved to be problematic and not cost-effective. High pressures from rifle rounds cause the steel to expand and then not bounced back, as a brass-cased round would. So the case gets stuck in the chamber, and this can cause the extractor to snap off, as it's made of soft steel. Now you have the problem of replacing the extractor as well as the fun of pounding the stuck case out of the chamber.

However, I have heard that steel cased ammo can wear out the extractor on pistols as well, it just takes longer. Personally I haven't had this issue, and I've fired only steel-case through my M&Ps for over three years now. YMMV.

Mickel cases are really brass cases that have been nickel-plated. This makes them a tad more brittle, so you can reload them less times, but otherwise can't harm your gun in any way.

I've never heard that aluminum cases can damage a gun from any reputable source. Aluminum can't be reloaded.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.