Thread: Home and Auto The Motorcycle Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #2398
best in the biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayze View Post
Right on.

read up on trail braking technique; and practice ; it'll become 2nd nature / muscle memory.
good video / visualization

Ketih Code's Twist of the Wrist is a good source of information too. Suspension / sag etc is also a commonly overlooked aspect of what makes a motorcycle perform correctly. Now that you've been out of the saddle for a bit, might be the perfect time to read up / practice on technique / visualize concepts etc before you develop any bad habits. (we all have bad habits etc). It's easy to fall into a trap on all this stuff that this stuff doesn't apply to harleys, and it's only for sport riders, but it really does apply. I fell into that trap and got into some bad habits.

even though a lot of these vids / reference materials are sport related, they are absolutely applicable to a big 'ol cruiser. Once I started practicing trail braking and got it to where I wasn't even thinking about it...holy shit. my life improved . So much more confidence in the corners, and in particular, making mid-corner adjustments due to unexpected shit (sand, granvel, road kill etc). having that muscle memory to make braking adjustments in the corner....blew my mind. lol. I used to, for about 20 years, subscribe to 'do all the braking before your turn" etc. while not "wrong" per se....trail braking is just so much better and the muscle memory reduces the panic grab of levers and throttle etc in an emergency.

in fact, since I too have been out of the saddle for a good 1.5 yrs., at some point this weekend I'm going to find a secluded parking lot that's in good shape and simply practice quick/agrgessive stops; get to know my bike a little more. even though the new bike has ABS, I want to get a feel for how it responds to increasing levels of break pressure.
hard stops are the first thing I practice on a new bike...that and figure eights both directions, and then practice those as slow as possible. My gold wing was so heavy I had to counter steer in every corner to keep it from running us off the road.

My tank, new coils and wires showed up today.

Progress
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote